Reflection papers are very common in colleges. These are given by instructors to know what you have learned from a topic or subject. It gives a chance to the students to express their feelings and opinions about a subject and what they have learned from it. In most types of paper, we present the thoughts and opinions of other writers and researchers, but in the reflective paper, you have to present or opinions and point of view in a comprehensible and clear manner.
What are the Common Types of Reflection Paper?
According to an essay writing service UK, a reflection paper can be divided into three categories
- Educational Reflection Paper
- Professional Reflection Paper
- Personal Reflection Paper
In an educational reflection paper, you express your opinions about a book, topic, seminar, or any other education-related material in such a way, that it makes it understandable for the readers. In professional reflection paper opinions, about psychological-related issues (an individuals’ behavior) are discussed. In the personal reflection paper, you express your opinion about your matter.
What is the Format of Reflection Paper?
There is no specific format for writing a reflection paper because it is based on the writer’s personal opinions, and opinions can be expressed in any way. The more freely you write, the more genuine and clear are your opinions. Normally; the length of a reflection paper is between 400 to 800 words and, you need to follow the format provided by your course instructor.
What Are the Initial Steps to follow Before Writing the Reflection Paper?
Writing a reflection paper is very easy and can be completed by following easy steps.
- Thoroughly read the book, topic, article, or lesson about which you have to write the reflection paper and take the notes. While reading, you can note down your feeling and opinion about the things or points you read.
- It is not necessary to start writing after one time reading only. You may read it two to three times until you get a clear understanding.
- It is not compulsory to start writing the reflection paper instantly after reading. It is better to take a break and write the review with a fresh mind.
- You can takes notes in any form as a diagram, charts, or list.
- When you start writing, first make a summary of all the notes you have taken then, do the brainstorming and compare them both to check whether it contains all the necessary information. Then outline. After that, you can write the first draft of your reflection paper.
How to Make the Outline of the Reflection Paper?
A reflection paper must have the following elements
The introduction of the reflection paper must clearly state the thing on which you are sharing your opinions. You must tell what you are analyzing, a book, newspaper, article, a specific topic, or lecture. Give a summary of the work briefly and mention the thesis statement. The body can be of two to three paragraphs. The body contains a detailed analysis. Here you give your opinion one by one with supporting shreds of evidence.
For example, if you are writing a reflection paper on a book, and you disagree with the author’s point, then you must have to present any supporting evidence or logical reason to support your rejection. All the paragraphs of the body should be interconnected. In conclusion, you have to summarize your overall experience by telling what you have learned and was your experience good or bad. You can either put together all the opinions you have presented in the body or you can reiterate your thesis statement and dive into the summary of the essay.
How to Write the Reflection Paper in 5 Steps?
- First of all, you have to decide about the theme or topic of your reflection paper. After you pick your theme, compose a short outline of what you have learned about your involvement in that subject. Mention your feelings about the theme straightforwardly. Odds are that your readers can probably identify with your assessment or if nothing else how you structure your viewpoint, and that will assist them with having a superior comprehension of your appearance.
- In the next step, you have to do brainstorming. In brainstorming, you have to write all the opinions that come into your mind regarding your topic. You do not need to worry about the arrangement in brainstorming. Just write the things as they come into your mind. You have to express your opinions in a personal way and in simple words.
- Next, you have to evaluate why and how these ideas and thoughts have affected you. One by one analyze all the ideas and give the reasoning for each. For example, if a book leaves a positive impact on you, then what was the reason behind it. Was the writer’s research was more logical, or the theme of the book was very much similar to your thoughts or life. Or if you disagree then what was the reason.
- After brainstorming and evaluation of your ideas and opinions, you have to create a link between all these. Arrange them in a specific order so that they seem meaningful and worth reading.
- At last, you have to write the conclusion for providing a summary of your opinions. The conclusion must be simple, succinct, and must justify your opinions.
What More You Need to Consider for Writing a Reflection Paper?
- Always remember that the formatting, editing, and proofreading are the essential part and must be done at the end.
- Keep the length from 200 to 800 words, do not go beyond it.
- Present your opinions in a concise and clear manner.
- Do not add irrelevant and unnecessary information.
- Although you are expressing your thoughts and opinions, yet you must keep the tone of the paper formal.
- Make a strong thesis so that you can easily write about it.
- Like other academic papers, you also need to use credible sources of information for writing a reflection paper. Do not forget to cite these sources.